Under beautiful blue skies the 2010 Crump Cup got the match play portion under way with perfect weather and the course in amazing shape. The tournament officials did a great job mixing the tee and pin locations to make it fun and challenging. Several matches went into sudden death, adding additional pressure to each shot.

The results of the Championship Flight are as follows:

Michael Muehr over Bill Jeremiah 4&3

Bill McGuinness over Dennis Kavelman 2&1

Glenn Smeraglio over Roger Hoit 2&1

Mike McCoy over Craig Nichols 3&2

Randy Haag over Dan Horner 3&2

Michael Barbosa over Jordan Nasser 1 up

Kevin Marsh over Robert Couture 20 holes


Muehr over McGuinness 20 holes

Rowe over Smeraglio 6&5

McCoy over Haag 6&4

Marsh over Barbosa 23 holes


Jeff Burda vs. Pat Tallent

Jim Holtgrieve vs. Vinny Giles

My match against Mike McCoy was quite pathetic, as I started well and as I tired limped in. Our match was all square after the tough starting 5 holes. Mike hit it to a foot on #6 to go one up. Match play can be brutal and what occurred on the 7th hole I believe derailed me. Mike hit his tee shot into the tree right, while I stripped a 3 metal down the middle. Mike was left with a chip out that he hit too hard ending behind the trees in the left rough. After another chip out lying three I decided to play conservative and hit a 22 degree rescue over Hells Half Acre. My tired legs collapsed and I rope hooked my shot into the left junk. Mike hit his fourth shot about 80 short of the green. After hunting for my ball for 4 minutes finally someone found it under a tree in high grass. I actually had a decent escape which I hit fat leaving a partially blocked shot to the green. Somehow I got the ball on the green in four leaving a reasonable putt for par amd a good shot at still winning the hole. Mike then proceeded to HOLE his 5th shot from the fairway and after a poor attempt for par I walked off going 2 down.

I unfortunately wasn’t able to pull it together on #8 where I had yet to make a par on this 325 yard par four. Instead of hitting the rescue I decided to pound the 3 metal down close to the green which I did quite nicely, leaving about 63 yards to a back middle pin. I had a side hill downhill lie that I chunked about 10 yards forward to the bottom of the fairway. Mike then hit his shot over the green. I then chunked my third shot into a buried lie in the bunker, blasted it over the green and holed the chip for 5. Mike coolly flopped his shot down to a foot to win his third hole in a row.

I tried to battle back with a win on #9 but Mike hit his tee shot on 10 to a foot for a wining birdie and followed with another approach shot to 3 feet for birdie on #12. I was unable to put any pressure on Mike which makes it difficult to beat a player that makes so few mistakes and hits many quality shots.

It will be interesting to see if the #1 seed Michael Muehr plays #2 Michael McCoy in this afternoons final round. I will try to keep you posted with results as I race off to the airport for a 2pm flight back to SFO to get to Mayacama for the start of the USGA STATE team Championship starting Tuesday.


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: